Grant was born on 5 May
1957 in Mbabane, Swaziland, bearing the name Richard Grant Esterhuysen.
He studied English and Drama at University in Capetown, South
Africa, before moving to London in 1982 and working in the theater
and on British TV.
He won a role in a short film
about advertising called 'Honest, Decent and True,' which led
to the leading role as an unemployed actor in the cult comedy
hit 'Withnail and I' (opposite Paul
McGann). This was an indication of the type of offbeat
roles Richard would tend to play, and play often.
His next film, 'How to Get Ahead
in Advertising' in 1989, had him starring as an ad executive
who develops a talking boil on his shoulder. The film that got
him the most attention was 'Warlock' in 1991, with Richard as
a heroic warrior. A series of films followed on both sides of
the Atlantic including 'Hudson Hawk', 'L.A. Story', 'The Player',
'Bram Stoker's Dracula' and 'The Age of Innocence'.
Known for playing lords, princes,
society lads and sneaky servants, he has also played priests,
vampires and villans, (among others), proving his worth as a
talented and skillful character actor. He has played the romantic
lead a few times, but truly shines in roles that let him explore
the absurd and the unusual.
However, his autobiographical
novel "With Nails: the film diaries of Richard E Grant"
(1998) reveals a kind, passionate and surprisingly sensible person
with strong views and (thankfully) a sense of the ridiculous,
who also happens to be an excellent author. He published a second
novel 'By Design', that same year.
- Bright Young Things (2003) ....
- Monsieur N. (2003) .... Hudson
- Gosford Park (2001) .... George
- Hildegarde (2001) .... Wolf
- William Shakespeare (2000) (archive
footage) .... Withnail
- The Little Vampire (2000) ....
- Comic Relief: Doctor Who and
the Curse of Fatal Death (1999) (V) .... The (Quite Handsome)
- The Match (1999) .... Gorgeous
- Cash In Hand (1998) .... Sir
- St. Ives (1998) .... Major Chevening
- Spice World (1997) .... Clifford
- Food of Love (1997) .... Alex
- Keep the Aspidistra Flying (1997)
.... Gordon Comstock
- The Serpent's Kiss (1997) ....
- The Portrait of a Lady (1996)
.... Lord Warburton
- Twelfth Night: Or What You Will
(1996) .... Sir Andrew Aguecheek
- Jack and Sarah (1995) .... Jack
- Prêt-à-Porter (1994)
.... Cort Romney
- In the Cold Light of Day (1994)
.... Viktor Marek
- Calliope (1993) .... the Producer
- Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful
Life (1993) .... Franz Kafka
- The Age of Innocence (1993)
.... Larry Lefferts
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
.... Dr. Jack Seward
- The Player (1992) .... Tom Oakley
- Hudson Hawk (1991) .... Darwin
- L.A. Story (1991) .... Roland
- Henry & June (1990) ....
- Mountains of the Moon (1990)
.... Larry Oliphant
- Killing Dad (1989) .... Ali
- Warlock (1989) .... Giles Redferne
- How to Get Ahead in Advertising
(1989) .... Denis Dimbleby Bagley
- Hidden City (1988) .... Brewster
- Withnail and I (1987) .... Withnail
- "Posh Nosh" (2003)
.... Simon Marchmont
- The Hound of the Baskervilles
(2002) .... Jack Stapleton
- Case of Evil (2002) .... Mycroft
- The Miracle Maker (2000) (voice)
.... John the Baptist
- A Christmas Carol (1999) ....
- Trial & Retribution III
(1999) .... Stephen Warrington
- "The Scarlet Pimpernel
(1999) (mini) .... Sir Percy Blakeney/The Scarlet Pimpernel
- Captain Star (1997) (voice)
.... Captain Jim Star
- An Evening with Lily Savage
(1996) .... Audience Member/Himself
- A Royal Scandal (1996) ....
George, Prince of Wales
- Karaoke (1996) (mini) .... Nick
- Cold Lazarus (1996) (mini) ....
- Bed (1995) .... Nurse/Bedhead
- Butter (1994)
- Hard Times (1994) .... James
- Treasure Island (1993) (voice)
- Suddenly, Last Summer (1993)
.... George Holly
- Codename: Kyril (1988) (....
- Honest, Decent & True (1985)
... Moonee Livingstone
ABOUT - QUEENS - KINGS - PRINCES
KNIGHTS - LADIES - COURT
ROLL - GOSSIP
STORIES - LINKS - COPYRIGHT - CONTACT