spent his early childhood
in Nigeria, returning to England at age five. His first professional
role was as "Guy Bennet" in the West End production
of 'Another Country'. From this performance he was chosen to
play the character of "Judd" in the movie of the play,
with Rupert Everett (who had
also played "Bennet" in another production).
Colin went on to play a variety
of character parts in both film and television. His strong and
consistant work culminated in earning him the Royal Television
Society Best Actor award and a BAFTA nomination for his portrayal
of Robert Lawrence in the 1989 TV production 'Tumbledown'. His
next BAFTA nomination came for his celebrated portrayl of "Mr.
Darcy" in the 1995 BBC mini-series, 'Pride and Prejudice'.
His stiff-necked, repressed,
yet passionate "Mr Darcy" in 'Pride and Prejudice'
made him one of the most popular and desirable British actors
around. He became an instant sex symbol in his native Britain,
almost overnight, with women all over the country demanding to
know who this tall, dark stranger was and to see more of him.
Numerous film and television
roles followed, including 'The English Patient', 'Fever Pitch',
'Shakespeare In Love' (again with Rupert
Everett), 'Bridget Jones's Diary', 'The Importance of
Being Earnest' (again with Rupert Everett)
and 'Love Actually' (with Alan
Rickman and Emma Thompson).
While playing many contemporary
roles in film, Colin is considered the quintessential period
drama actor, as evidenced by his many film and television credits.
Even his contemporary characters sometimes carry names that hark
back to Jane Austin and tight bodices - "Henry Dashwood"
in 'What a Girl Wants', shares the same surname as one of the
families in 'Sense and Sensibility', and "Mark Darcy"
in 'Brigit Jones's Diary' was a deliberate reference by writer
Helen Fielding to the role that launched Colin into a nation's
consciousness - that of "Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy" in 'Pride
and Prejudice'. If you watch the films closely, you'll see the
two characters are even of the same mold and disposition.
He is quoted as saying about
the two Darcy roles: "I was delighted to become a popular-culture
reference point. I'm still delighted about it actually, and I
still find it to be weird."
- Trauma (2004) .... Ben
- Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003)
.... Johannes Vermeer
- Love Actually (2003) .... Jamie
- What a Girl Wants (2003) ....
- Hope Springs (2003) .... Colin
- The Importance of Being Earnest
(2002) .... Jack
- Bridget Jones's Diary (2001)
.... Mark Darcy
- Londinium (2000) .... Allen
- Relative Values (2000) ....
- Blackadder Back & Forth
(1999) .... William Shakespeare
- The Secret Laughter of Women
(1999) .... Matthew Field
- My Life So Far (1999) .... Edward
- Shakespeare in Love (1998) ....
- A Thousand Acres (1997) ....
- Fever Pitch (1997) .... Paul
- The English Patient (1996) ....
- Circle of Friends (1995) ....
- Playmaker (1994) .... Ross Talbert/Michael
- The Hour of the Pig (1993) ....
- Out of the Blue (1991) ....
- Femme Fatale (1991) .... Joseph
- Wings of Fame (1990) .... Brian
- Valmont (1989) .... Valmont
- Apartment Zero (1988) .... Adrian
- A Month in the Country (1987)
.... Tom Birkin
- Dutch Girls (1985) .... Neil
- 1919 (1985) .... Young Alexander
- Another Country (1984) ....
- Conspiracy (2001) .... Dr. Wilhelm
- Donovan Quick (1999) .... Donovan
- The Turn of the Screw (1999)
.... The Master
- Nostromo (1996) (mini) ....
- Widowing of Mrs. Holroyd, The
(1995) .... Charles Holroyd
- Pride and Prejudice (1995) (mini)
.... Fitzwilliam Darcy
- The Deep Blue Sea (1994) ....
- Master of the Moor (1994) ....
- Hostages (1993) .... John McCarthy
- Tumbledown (1989) .... Robert
- Tales from the Hollywood Hills:
Pat Hobby Teamed with Genius (1987) .... Rene Wilcox
- The Secret Garden (1987) ....
Adult Colin Craven
- Lost Empires (1986) (mini) ....
- Camille (1984) .... Armand Duval
- "Three Days of Rain"
- The Donmar Warehouse. London, UK. 1999 - 2000.
- Chatsky - The Almedia,
London, UK. 1993.
- The Caretaker -
Comedy Theatre, London, UK. 1991.
- Desire Under the Elms
- Greenwich Theatre, London, UK. 1987.
- The Lonely Road
- The Old Vic, London, UK. 1985.
- The Doctor's Dilemma
- Churchill Theatre, Bromley, Kent, UK. 1984.
- Another Country
- Queens Theatre, London, UK. 1981.
ABOUT - QUEENS - KINGS - PRINCES
KNIGHTS - LADIES - COURT
ROLL - GOSSIP
STORIES - LINKS - COPYRIGHT - CONTACT